Here are my Top 5 spring garden prep tips or things to do now or in early March:
- Cut back deciduous (gets dead looking in winter) grasses to 2″ tall stubble. Don’t cut back evergreen grasses-they grow back too slowly and will look ugly for a full year.
- Scrub your flagstones, especially in the odd corners where they have become very slick. Same for concrete, where you don’t typically walk, it can be very slippery. Bleach will harm your stepables and if you track bleach in on your carpet, it will be a sad thing. Some do use a 1 to 10 water and ammonia on their flagstone with steppables. (10 is the water, 1 is the ammonia okay?)
- Cut back Lavender to the lowest bits of new growth. Do this now or before mid March. We are running out of time for best results.
- Trim a bit of Rosemary and make some good chicken soup. The flu season has me making a lot of soup. We have had our patience sorely tested waiting to get over this years flu. (2011) Rosemary is both fragrant and flavorful. It lifts my spirits just picking it, I also like it with eggs and potatoes for breakfast, so simple, so good and so easy to step outside my door and snip.
- Time to start thinking about an inch or two of compost for as soon as you finish spring clean up or April 15 which ever arrives first.